Are you looking for Jesus this Christmas?
Christmas! What does it mean to you? Does it mean Santa and gifts or the Christ child? As I sat in church yesterday I was amazed at the Pastor's sermon on Luke 2 and Simeon. As he read the passage stopping along the way he asked us to visualize the entrance of the Christchild in the Temple. But, that was not his focus; instead it was
Simeon. Who was this man? What do we know about him? Why was he there in the temple? How did he recognize Jesus? Why did God allow him to see Jesus as the Messiah who would die for our sins? These are questions that lay unanswered but we do know some details that help fill in the blanks:
1. he was old
2. he must have lived in the vicinity of the Temple or at least in the city of Jerusalem
3. he was righteous
4. he was devout
5. he was looking...note that...looking for the consolation of Israel...aware of God's promises from the OT...that means he was educated in some way about them
6. he was anointed by the Holy Spirit
7. he had been given a special revelation by the Holy Spirit
8. he had been given a promise: no death until he had seen the one for whom he had been looking...longing.
9. he came into the Temple...in the Spirit. Remember what Paul said...be ye filled with the Holy Spirit
10. he noted and stopped Mary and Joseph and took the child
11. in the Spirit he prophesied
12. he blessed God
So what is it about Simeon that we should "take away" for our lives? Are we too looking for Him? are we filled with the Spirit? Are we righteous? Are we devout?
Are we in God's house so we can be aware of His presence when He comes? Do we know the promises of the OT? OR
Are we so busy with the trappings of Christmas that we are not looking for Him "in the temple" but instead we are looking for Santa? Where are we today in our preparation for Christmas?
Looking for Jesus? Start here...in His house...in His Word...and receive the promises that are awaiting you.
Perhaps this song will inspire you to think: where's the line for Jesus?